SS Tarpon

The SS Tarpon, originally known as the Naugatuck sank in 1937 near Panama City. The twin screwed steam ship was built in 1887, at Wilmington Delaware by shipbuilders Pusey and Jones. She measured 130 feet with a beam of 26 feet with the superstructure and passenger areas of the vessel built from wood with an iron hull. In 1891 the ship was sent back to the manufacturer to lenghtern the hull by 30 feet and renamed the Tarpon.

The ship was sent back to the manufacturer in 1891, after being sold by the original owner. The hull was lengthened by 30 feet and she was renamed the Tarpon. In 1902 she was sold to The Pensacola, St Andrews, and Gulf Steamship Company and the ship was cunder the command of Captain Willis Green Barrow for 30 years. It sailed weekly runs from Mobile, Pensacola, St. Andrews Bay, Apalachacola, and Carrabelle, making the trip 1,735 times. On August 30, 1937 the Tarpon was loaded in Mobile, with 200 tons of cargo and 31 people including the crew. But despite a forecast of calm weather, the wind began to pick up, and the heavily ladened ship took on water in the high seas and sank wit ha great loss of lives.

The shipwreck is located 7.8 nautical miles (14.4 km) off the shore of Panama City in 95 feet of water on the hard bottom terrain.